2009-02-15

A Sampling of Syllabics

This style of poetry was popularised by Marianne Moore. The idea is that you write the first verse and, then, every other verse must have the same number of syllables per line as the first one did.

There is no pattern involving stressed / unstressed syllables.

* * *

The Voice: Part I

Crisp consonants bite
the air as your clear tenor grabs
my attention.
Smooth vowels rise and fall
in a cadence that eases
my brittle soul.

Clean, and with an edge,
your voice comes surging through the wires
thrusting your words
into my ear and brain
and then withdrawing again
into silence.


The Voice: Part II

Fulsome consonants
emerge in your baritone drawl
rich with love while
your soft vowels bend and
stretch in order to caress
my wretched heart.

Your voice seduces
and then vibrates with a barely
suppressed longing
(that I can almost taste)
before tapering off to
a gentle peace.


The Voice: Part III

Rough consonants in
your gravely bass hang on the
periphery
of the smoky vowels
that lend texture to my thoughts
and to my world.

Sandpapery words
emerge into the atmosphere
and settle in
valleys where exotic
notions wend their way around
my consciousness.

No comments: