2012-01-19

What I learned from NaNoWriMo in 2011

I learned several things about myself this past autumn, including:

- I will not accomplish anything without a deadline.

- an outline is useful, but is not cast in stone. I can even change the outline if something is not right for the characters. (In fact, I did have to introduce some extra secondary characters.)

- when I am on a roll and typing in the dialogue that I am 'hearing', I can write as much as 700 wds / hour. If I have to stop and figure out what comes next, I am down to about 400 wds / hour.

- my best places to write are 1) in the meeting room of the local public library and 2) a local coffee shop that is not a chain. The library is cheaper.

Most important of all, I learned that I could write a rough draft of a book in 45 days (not counting the couple of weeks for outline, so ... maybe I should include it in my estimate and say ~60 days). It may not be a great book, but it's done. Editing is the easy part -- well, relatively speaking.

I will definitely enter it again this year.

Meanwhile, there is the Script Frenzy in April. It is put on by the same organisation as does the National Novel Writing Month. I've never written a script before ... have no idea how to go about it. Hi-ho! It looks like a trip to the library for me.

No comments: