2012-01-25

Kim Dotcom

Well, it really was only a matter of time.

While I don't believe a whole lot of what the FBI spouts, I believe nothing at all that I read in the Toronto Sun. This means that I can read what passes for news in that tabloid ... and shake my head in disbelief.

Take, for example, the article from January 22 of this year. Apparently, the FBI were involved in apprehending Kim Schmitz, aka Kim Dotcom, in New Zealand, for his alleged ownership of Megaupload.com -- a site that was actively involved in selling pirated items.

The article claimed that this site had generated $175 million from subscriptions and advertising. It also quoted the FBI as saying that Schmitz had garnered $42 million personally in 2010.

First, the last time I checked, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was not allowed to operate outside the U.S.A., just like the Central Intelligence Agengy is not allowed to operate within the U.S. Agencies in the United States seem to be very jealous of their jurisdictions / territories. I just can't see the FBI operating in New Zealand. The CIA, maybe.

Second, I think these figures may be on the conservative side. $175 million? How many years has it been in operation? And Kim Dotcom / Schmitz received a quarter of that in one year alone? Something's funny here. Of course, that could be bad reporting.

Kim is being hailed as a hero of the little guy, a kind of modern day Robin Hood, if you will. But, given the size of the mansion he was living in (picture in paper, and my scanner not working) and the fleet of about 20 cars -- including, if we are to believe the report, a pink Cadillac and a Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe.

I would have a whole lot more respect for him if he had given the bulk of his money to charity. As it is, I think he's just as greedy as the big movie studios -- and no different.

No comments: