2009-01-12

Social life

Well, I have three whole days of ... in a row!

So today I'm having lunch with Nina. Tomorrow I'm having dinner with my cousins. And Wednesday ... I'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I've been working on my Random House project. I have over six thousand words of poetry to submit (the limit is eight thousand), but I'm getting scared now.
1. What if it's considered old-fashioned? I write mostly sonnets and sestinas with the occasional villanelle thrown in for good measure. I've done some blank verse pieces and syllabics. My unstructured pieces are in the minority, though.
2. What if they find it trite and unimaginative? It's hard to tell if it's good enough, when I'm looking at my own stuff. I know what I was trying to achieve. I know how far short I fell.
3. What if they don't like it? 'Nuff said.

This was what I meant by my resolution to live life more fully; take chances on these things because I'll never know unless I send it in. So ... back to work!

Oh, and 4. I'll keep working on some prose pieces to enter over the next couple of years.

No comments: