2007-12-29

Another sestina -- this one for the novel

This sestina was a challenge from a friend of mine; to use "think", plus the five senses. I had hoped to turn this into a double sestina, but couldn't think of anything more to say. Maybe the next one ...

Helos:
I have to say, I don’t know what to think.
I know her only by the things I see.
There are, of course, the rumours that I hear
That are certainly bound, my heart, to touch.
I cannot forget her delicate scent
And yearn to know how sweet her full lips taste.

Thoe:
I like to think I’m known for having taste.
Yet, untroubled by what the Courtiers think
I have eschewed the stronger vials of scent.
What he thinks of that; I will wait and see.
I cannot forget his hands’ gentle touch
When dancing to music I still can hear.

Helos:
What is this silent music that I hear
Inside my head? It’s giving me a taste
For gracious dances; for when I could touch
And surrender my mind, so I would think
No more. Yet, when I close my eyes, I see
Her laughing face and inhale her slight scent.

Thoe:
I remember well his crisp, earthy scent.
Every rich baritone voice that I hear
Makes me want to turn my head to see
If it is he. Oh, for a single taste
Of those sweet lips, but what would people think
If they knew how I yearned for his touch?

Helos:
She’s right there! Shall I put it to the touch?
Or will she think I’m flying from the scent?
I find I care about what she will think.
I wonder what sort of tales she might hear
Among women of elegance and taste?
I guess I shall just have to wait and see.

Thoe:
Sometimes I can’t believe what my eyes see.
He’s so handsome that it’s hard not to touch.
I keep on wondering how he would taste
And if it’s akin to his stirring scent.
If he would but state his case, I would hear.
My brains are scrambled and it’s hard to think.

Helos:
I think I am partial to what I see
And what I hear. How I hunger to touch;
Breathe her understated scent; know her taste.