2012-02-06

Novice Plumber

I don’t know what it is, but on sunny days I have this burning need to do chores around the house. Today was a gorgeously sunny day, a few degrees above zero (Celsius), and I was particularly busy.

First off, I should say that I have very little problem with philosophy or the theoretical side of physics. Plumbing, however, was completely beyond me until I moved to southern Ontario and had extremely hard water to deal with.

So, having been here for three and a half years, it shouldn’t surprise me that my showerhead jets were starting to clog up. So were the taps on the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen.

Mentally, I girded my loins and hauled out my Dad’s old adjustable spanner. The shower head came off quite easily, as did the nozzles on the taps. I filled up an old bowl with CLR and soaked them, then scraped, then soaked some more. It took the better part of the afternoon, but it was worth it to have done it myself. I know it’s not *real* plumbing, but it’s the level I’m at, and I’m proud that I did it.

Anyway, late this afternoon, I rinsed the pieces and put them back on, and they work – with no parts left over!

No comments: