2009-08-18

Stratford's offerings this year

Last week some friends were in from Ottawa and we went to see three shows at Stratford. This time, it was
- Ever Yours, Oscar
- Bartholomew Fair
- Cyrano de Bergerac

I don't recommend Ever Yours, Oscar. It was reading a series of letters to, and from, Oscar Wilde. Most of them, I had already read over the years.

I found Bartholomew Fair absolutely delightful. Fast paced and highly amusing. Unfortunately, one of my companions was confused at the beginnning and found the whole thing incomprehensible.

Cyrano de Bergerac, however, was just amazing. It was so well done that I was in the grip of the story from the very first scene. When Cyrano dies at the end, I was in tears. This is one show people should try to see if they can.

We also found a delightful little restaurant, the York Street Kitchen. Tiny, with great food and an excellent selection of wine. Unfortunately, they only accept reservations for six or more. Open 8 to 8. If you want dinner, you better be there right on the dot of 5. We went in at five past, and had trouble finding a table for three; it's that popular.

No comments: