2008-09-07

Skogwalkers

Today, for the first time in my life, I walked for charity.

I've sponsored many people over the years, but this was the first time that I actually asked people to sponsor me. I managed to raise $430 for ovarian cancer research and support, so I was very pleased.

Half of the team (five of us) walked in Toronto, while the other half walked in Ottawa.

Why did we choose the team name of Skogwalkers? We did it for our friend Sandra who has been battling ovarian cancer for over two years. I have two other friends who are also battling it and that was where my mother's cancer had started, as well.

Why now? Because this year a friend turned 40 in January. She decided to have an 'event' each month in order to celebrate, and to invite friends to take part in each one. For example, she had never been to a spa, so January's adventure was a spa day. Another month, it was a helicopter ride over Niagara Falls. This walk was September's outing.

Already, the Toronto team is talking about doing it again next year.

No comments: