2008-02-26

Triolet

I was in a class on Saturday and the exercise was to take one of the famous Mediaeval or Renaissance first lines that had been chosen by the teacher and write a new ending for it.

This first line is from the Lais of Marie de France by Yonec. It was written about A.D. 1170. The word 'paved' does not have the accent in any of the translations I've seen; I added it because I thought the line worked better that way.

The form used here is a triolet and the rhyme scheme is: ABaAabAB

In a big room, pavéd with stone
Lies my love; pale, cold, dead, and grieved.
He’s in his coffin, his face shown
In a big room, pavéd with stone.
He was the sweetest man I’d known
And his demise leaves me bereaved.
In a big room, pavéd with stone
Lies my love; pale, cold, dead, and grieved.

No comments: